Foreign Drivers

You can drive but you need a UK (European) Driving Licence

Visitors to the UK, over 17 years of age, with a valid driving licence issued in another country, may drive a passenger vehicle in the UK for up to 12 months.

A valid driving licence issued anywhere within the European Union may be used by the licence holder until the age of 70, or for up to 3 years from the time they become resident in Great Britain. After 3 years it must be exchanged for a British licence.

There are 16 designated countries which have exchange agreements with Great Britain. They are:-

Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Gibraltar, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland & Zimbabwe.

If you have a licence issued in any of the above countries, you may drive for up to 12 months and then exchange it for a GB licence. If you have a licence issued in any other country, you may drive for up to 12 months but you must then pass a GB driving test. In order to do this you must hold a GB Provisional Licence.

For a more detailed explanation: